Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Domino Effect

We had a very nice Labor Day weekend where we did almost nothing, which was a great change.

However, Anna had a raging case of diaper rash. That combined with a dose of a challenging temperament led to an interesting bedtime routine last night...

Anna loves the blinds in her room. Well, probably not so much the blinds themselves but the ear piercing slam they make when slung against the window. I told her twice not to mess with them. She looked at me, went around my legs and did it again.

At that point, I picked her up and set her in the bed for literally no longer than 2 minutes. She wailed and wailed. After her dramatic brush with the unfathomable crib doom, I rescued her from the prison and consoled her while explaining (in very basic terms) the importance of listening to Momma.

When she finally calmed down, I noticed she had a poopy diaper.

I put her down on her changing table. Thus, the battle ensued again. Tears. Tears. And more tears.

At this point, I felt a tiny twinge of pity for her because the diaper rash was causing extreme discomfort.

I held her for a couple of minutes and gently laid her back on the changing table to apply diaper rash cream and a butt cover.

You would have thought I was breaking her fingers one by one.

I was going as quickly as possible because I knew her little bottom hurt.

Finally, another step conquered.

Then I did the unthinkable.

I dressed her for bed.

She screamed bloody murder while I put her arms in her pajamas.

I finally resigned and left them half in the sleeves.

Her fingertips eventually made their way out.

She finally calmed down...once she realized there were no more diaper or clothes changes...or discipline. Just a bottle and bed.

She crashed for the night immediately thereafter.

Thank God.

This episode alone pooped me out for the week.

No comments: